Freely Scripted Soul

April 13, 2006

Rangaswamy hills

Filed under: Destinations — Roshan @ 5:00 pm

Date : 12/04/06

Ajay GN, Ajay Kumar CS, Rajath and me had planned for a trek to Rangaswamy hills. To go to the place and to come back, we decided to use public transport. Rajath and me were looking for info about the trek in the net. Until the previous night, we didnt know exactly how to reach the place!!!! Rajath's friends had been to the place before. In the end, it was his friend Mahesh(my friend too) who gave the exact info about how to reach the place via public transport.

We met at GN's house at 6.30 am. We took a bus to Banashankari bus stand. From Banashankari bus stand, we took a govt. bus to Kanakapura at 7-7.15. We got down at Harohalli around 8-8.30. Its around 40 kms from Bangalore. Then we took a private bus to Maralvadi, which is around 12 kms from Harohalli. From Maralvadi, Rangaswamy hills is around 7-8 kms passing through Devarahalli. We took a auto from there(it proved to be the costliest transport we used for the day!!!) to a place close to the hills. From the place where the auto stopped, we had to walk around 2 kms to go to the foot of the hills.

Along our path, a rabbit appeared πŸ™‚ , ran straight ahead of us and disappeared 😦 . Then, we starting climbing, but after going a small distance, we felt that this wasnt the route, as the locals there had said to us that they would be a clear route, and here, there wasnt any. So we came back to the foothills.

There was another route from the foothills. We went along that and it became clear that this was the route as the path was wide and clear. We climbed for very little time and found a place with some shade. There we stopped for our breakfast. It was around 9.30. We started off again after around 15 mins.

The path was good – wide enough and through the forest. Small and big rocks, tree-roots and some anthills were along the path. After probably climbing half of the hills, we even found dung along the path – elephant dung – heaps and heaps of it. GN told us it was elephant's dung as he had seen it in Bandipur. It doesnt stick to your footwear like cow dung!!! They were probably a few elephants that had treaded the paths sometime back, but as the dung was dried, it was a long time back, I guess.

It was sweltering hot. We took breaks at short intervals and took our own time in rest. We realised that we would defintely have water shortage. All of us had carried 2 ltrs of water each but very little of it was left by the time we had reached the top at around 12.15.

We found a place to have rest for some time, but there was no shade there. We sat there for sometime. My friends(CS and Rajath had mobiles – both Hutch) messaged their friends that we were on top. Then, we decided to find a place with nice shade to eat our lunch. So, we roamed around the top. The area was large. Theres also a temple here. We decided to visit it after our lunch. We found a suitable place, under a huge tree and finished our lunch. We practically finished our water resources too(GN saved just a few gulps). There was no drinking water available at the top(which was worthy of us). Then we went to the temple, but it was closed – we just viewed the idol from the outside.

We started our journey down at around 1.45. We took fewer breaks, as we knew the more breaks we took, the more necessity of water we would feel. The route back was a bit confusing – lost track 2 or 3 times, but were able to come back to the original track. We were almost down when we got the message of the demise of the kannada icon, Rajkumar from Rajath's mother. Around 3, we were down, at a local camp. We drank water there and they showed us a shortcut to reach Maralvadi. Midway through the shortcut, we filled our water bottles with some tap water there. It took a long time to walk. I felt this wasnt any shortcut. We reached maralvadi around 5.30. Even if we our total breaks would take half an hour, then we would have walked for atleast 8 kms in 2 hrs but the auto-man had said while leaving us that the road-route was around 7-8 kms. Hopefully, he was confused with miles and kms!!!

When we were in Maralvadi, we got clues of the protests in Bangalore. There was a private bus to Bangalore from there but he didnt assure us that we would reach our final destination. So we decided to get down at Harohalli and think of what to do next.

We reached Maralvadi around 6. We called up our anxious and tensed parents. We saw a bus whose front window had been damaged by a stone and the driver said that the police are blocking the buses to Bangalore. I had decided then that tonight, we will have to spend the night somewhere other than Bangalore – there wasnt any hope of reaching Bangalore. We tried to find out if any of our relatives lived nearby, but in vain. The bus authorities said they will take us to Bangalore and drop us at Thalgatpura, and we could get our own transport from there. The other option they gave was to wait till 10 and then there might be transport available. Both of it felt too risky to us. It would be worse if we were caught up in the middle of no-where or left with no transport late in the night.


The nearest place to where transport was available now was Kanakapura, which is farther from Bangalore but where we could atleast find some accomadation for the night. We had enquired about the lodgings there and it was cheap. Moreover, GN's dad works in BSNL and we hoped that we could find the BSNL rest rooms in Kanakapura. So we decided to go there.

We were in Kanakapura by 8. We were trying to contact GN's dad. There were connection problems(more in Maralvadi – got a bit better in Kanakapura), but we were able to pass him the message somehow. He told us to go BSNL office and ask for help. If they didnt agree, he asked us to get their number, and then he would call them up.

We searched for the office and reached there. It was closed but there was some person outside the building. GN always carries his father's visiting card and that helped as a proof. We told our problem and that we needed accomadations. He said that there were no rest rooms there but he would make arrangements for us to stay in the office only. We were satisfied. All this conversation took place next to a BSNL maxi/tempo(whatever u can call), outside the office gates.

The driver was overhearing our conversation and he joined our conversation.

  • Driver asked, "where actually do u need to go in Bangalore?"
  • We said, "jayanagar or banashankari.."
  • He said, "we are going to BSNL WMS compound in Jayanagar"
  • The other person added, "but u have to adjust as theres not enough space, if not u can stay here and I will make arrangements here"

We were on the moon.

  • GN stays in WMS compound. The previous times our group has gone out, the starting point had been my house and my friends' vehicles were parked here. However, this time it was GN's house and look where the vehicle now had agreed to take us to!!!
  • It was just the 4 of us. Even if it was 1 more, it would have become difficult to accomadate in the bus.
  • The person whom we talked to, had stayed late due to some problem in the office – if not, we would have met only the security and he couldnt have helped us much.
  • Some senior officers from Bangalore had come to sort the problem in this office and the BSNL vehicle was for their transportation. They would have left if we were around half an hour late.

All these things show that luck or god (whatever u might call) was on our side and we caught our silver lining.

We called our parents again to inform that we would be back. The vehicle left around 8.45. It was comfortable – no need for adjustment and all. We were at GN's place before 10!! I took my vehicle and was back home around 10.15.

All in all, in short :
A wonderful trek
A great adventure
Once in a lifetime experience


  1. it looks like u had a hell lot of fun.Enjoying life!!

    Comment by saurabh — April 13, 2006 @ 11:55 pm | Reply

  2. yup.. absolutely!!! πŸ˜€

    Comment by Roshan — April 14, 2006 @ 5:06 am | Reply

  3. hey roshan!!! u haven’t left anything!! u have written well!! also showed this to my mom n askd her to read!

    Comment by Rajath — April 15, 2006 @ 4:24 am | Reply

  4. thanks πŸ˜€
    u didnt say wat ur mom said after reading the blog??????????

    Comment by Roshan — April 15, 2006 @ 7:52 am | Reply

  5. hey the site is way better than before,keep up the good work dude.
    nice presentation

    Comment by saurabh — April 17, 2006 @ 7:19 am | Reply

  6. Liked the “touch of luck” πŸ˜€
    Site looks good man !

    Comment by Rk — April 17, 2006 @ 2:53 pm | Reply

  7. @saurabh
    thanks.. will definitely give my level best to keep it up πŸ˜€ .. n improve it too..

    thanks a lot πŸ˜€
    its gr8 to have a comment like tat from a blogger like u!!!

    Comment by Roshan — April 17, 2006 @ 3:04 pm | Reply

  8. nice work dude….wish i had been wit u ppl on d trek….

    Comment by karthik — May 2, 2006 @ 1:46 pm | Reply

  9. thanks πŸ˜€
    hope sometime we can trek together!!! πŸ™‚

    Comment by Roshan — May 24, 2006 @ 7:58 am | Reply

  10. Its not the trekking thatzzzz adventures here but making it back home. well described. Never forget to call me next time when you plan for a trip.

    Comment by pavan — October 14, 2006 @ 8:36 am | Reply

  11. LOL.. both was adventurous da !!! πŸ˜‰ but the situation after the adventure of trekking, made it a “once in a lifetime” experience πŸ™‚

    N ya… next time hopefully we will all go for a CLASS trip πŸ™‚

    Comment by Roshan — October 15, 2006 @ 12:33 pm | Reply

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: